Our Climax was built in 1920 at Corry Pennsylvania by the Climax Manufacturing Company. Patented Feb 25 1890, Builder’s number 1603. It was bought brand new by the Beebe River Lumber Co. in Campton NH, about 16 miles south of here. Walter Kessler’s father delivered it. They used it for a few years hailing lumber out of the Waterville Valley area. They then sold it to the East Branch and Lincoln Railroad, about a mile from here. Thet used it for a few years hauling lumber and then put it in storage where it sat until 1951, when the Clark’s bought it.
In the early 1970’s the trucks were put back together.
In 1975 it was moved into the engine house. New lagging jacket, pins and bushings were installed.
In 1976 it was ready for the bi-centennial.
In 1993 the boiler was re-tubed.
In 2002 it was determined that the boiler needed to be replaced.
The GE 65ton filled in hauling passengers while it was out of service.
A new boiler was built and arrived in Sept 2005.
The boiler was built by Boilersmith in Seaforth, Ontario. Working pressure 200PSI, working surface 627 sq ft. MDSC 5015 lbs per hour.
It was installed on the frame in Oct and moved into the shop in Dec.
This locomotive has been completely re-built and as it sits today is in excellent condition.
We’re very proud of this locomotive, because of the 1,000 or so built, there are only 3 of them in operation in the United States.